Monday, November 16, 2015

Transfer number 8 already? Where does the time go?

I seriously can't comprehend time anymore. Looking back, September is a complete blur; each companion's memories have faded together (was that with you or sister so and so?) and before I know it, I'm 6 months in Somerset and praying for more time here. People think I am nuts for wanting to stay so long, but I truly love it so much here. I have fallen so much in love with this cute town, the people and this branch! President Goleman, this week, told me my records are already in the branch, so I have one person on my side!

On Monday we had a wonderful tender mercy! We were driving home from burnside (the bottom ish area of Somerset) and I looked over at Ruby Tuesday and the sign really stuck out to me... I thought about it for a minute and remembered Kathleen (a less active) had worked there and I had the prompting "go try her house." It was so odd because Kathleen had moved back to her parents and hadn't been at her house in town for three months. All of her kids have moved out of the house as well. We lost contact and had no way to get a hold of her. I decided "ok, this is bizarre, but I will follow the prompting." Well, what do you know, Heavenly Father knows more than us! We pull up to her house and HER CAR IS THERE. WHAT. And then, we knock on the door and she comes
around the corner all nervous (it was 8pm and pitch black) because she doesn't know who is pounding on her door and I yell "Kathleen! It's the sisters!" Oh my goodness. It was a miracle! Such a huge blessing! We were able to chat with her and get info on her parents(who are also less active) and catch up with her! She is a wonderful human being. I just love her so much! Blessings blessings blessings!

This week felt like it went on forever. I have always told myself that one day I will just read and study all day long. Although I have never gotten the chance, it always sounds good in my mind because an hour for personal study just isn't long enough! Well, this week I got my chance! Sister Schultz was really sick and we stayed in all day Tuesday minus a few hours. I was able to have a four hour personal study in the morning and caught up on all the talks I wanted to read, read 3 chapters in the Book of Mormon and 5 in the New Testament. It was only 12... I checked on sister s and no improvement, so I went back to reading. I found random talks and ensign articles. By the time 5:30 rolled around I had read my little eyes out! I was ready to get out of the house! Thankfully, a member fed us and sister Schultz felt well enough to go see a less active in the boonies. It was a great day that I never want to have again! Haha!

Trials and tribulations precede miracles. This was Thursday's life lesson for both sister Schultz and I. We spent two hours weekly planning in the morning on our iPads. We had slid lessons planned in with direct revelation for each of our investigators at the perfect times for the this coming week. We had all of our less active members
planned in with their needs and even specific finding time and areas with different techniques or approaches. Then we went to sync our iPads and....lost. It. All. Every last bit of it. Including our plans that we had made for Thursday that we hadn't synced. Yep. That happened. But, it was a great learning experience. It taught us that we need to have more of our plans in our head and not rely on the iPad so much. (It still makes me with I had paper sometimes....) To follow that experience, we had an awesome lesson set up with a rad kid, Qiunton, who we met on the street Wednesday. He gave us a bad number and fake address... And then we go to try our newest bap date and on our way over he cancelled on us too. A day in the life! Haha! So we are ready for dinner at this point, Needing to recharge our batteries and all. This is where the day took a turn! We got a call from the Hermanas in Lexington asking about our Spanish investigator, Estrella! We happened to be driving by her house and stopped with them on the phone. She didn't answer the door so we waited for a text to write on a note to leave her. As we were about to walk away, she answered the door with the biggest smile on her face and welcomed us in! We were
able to set a return appointment! Then, we got in contact with a solid investigator, Lee, who has been reading the Book of Mormon. Finally, it was time for dinner and sister Loesevitz invited her non member friends over and we had a wonderful meal (with chocolate gravy, it was delicious) and powerful lesson! Her friend, sister Haynes, was so open to our message and committed to read and pray sincerely about the Book of Mormon. She was so cute and had researched some of our beliefs and marked scriptures in her bible before coming over. The discussion was spirit led and sister Loesevitz testimony was the perfect icing on the cake! God is a God of miracles! Just when we were ready to throw in the towel, BAM! Emrill style!

Friday's are always an adventure! District meeting was short and sweet and we have a new-ish district, three new missionaries! Elder Langston, who I came out with; elder hardy, who I go home with; and sister kocherhans, who is just adorable! It is going to be a wonderful transfer with these stellar servants of the lord! We were trained on how we should hold ourselves accountable to the lord and not have anyone else, or the lord asking for follow ups but we should take the initiative! It was great! Elder Fleener truly is an inspired district leader!
Some funny quotes from district meeting:
"a few days ago can mean anything from last week to two years ago..."
Amen to that.
"They're, well.. Kentucky." Referring to the way people act and talk.
(The majority of stereo types are true.)
"Where are the Schuening's? It's like mom and dad aren't here..." They were in Louisville at the temple and were dearly missed!

We had a lesson with Billy. Brother baptist Billy. This man, he is slowly coming. Slowly, but surely. This lesson went well and after we challenged him to forget the small things (that don't matter) he is gaining his foundation of a testimony! We are so excited and I personally am seeing the power of fasting and prayer through my experiences with Billy! Miracles are happening! He will soon enter into the waters of baptism and make sacred covenants with our father in heaven! :)

This weeks insights to my life: Bed bugs and cockroaches no longer phase me. I now love cauliflower. I am 20. I need human interaction. Ensigns don't have enough pictures of Christ to cut out. His grace is sufficient! When you have a whole day to sit and think, random stuff starts to click and realizations are had.

False doctrine heard this week: (I have been shocked lately at the doctrine that is being taught to others and I started to make notes of the false statements of 'truth' that we have been told... These blow my mind that people can believe this stuff!)

-the Italian mafia is protecting Jesus' blood line because he was
married to Mary Magdalene and they had kids. When Christ was
crucified, she fled with the children to Italy and enlisted the help
of body guards who created the mafia.

I believe Kentucky is still in the Great Apostasy.

Sister Peterson taught an amazing lesson in Relief Society yesterday! It was on member missionary work! I want to share a few insights from President Ezra Taft Benson!

As members of the Lord's Church, we must take missionary work seriously. If you are laboring as you should, if you love this work, you will be helping to save the souls of the children of men.

Not only should sharing the gospel be regarded as a priesthood duty, but we should all look forward to this experience with great joy and anticipation. The real purpose in sharing the gospel is to bring souls unto Christ, to teach and baptize our Heavenly Father's children so that we may rejoice with them (see D&C 18:15) in the kingdom of our Father.

We all share this great responsibility. We cannot avoid it. Let no man or woman think that because of where we live, or because of our place in society, or because of our occupation or status, we are exempt from this responsibility.

The Lord will sustain members in their missionary responsibility if they just have the faith to try. It is time to raise our sights, to get a vision of the magnitude of this great work. The Lord expects it of us. It is not enough just to be members in the Church and go to sacrament meeting, pay our tithing, support the welfare program. That is all good--but that is not enough. The Lord expects us to be missionaries, to live the gospel--yes, wholly, and to help to build up His kingdom.

My lil buddy, Joshua, was baptized yesterday! It was such a blessing to be able to attend his baptism! While there, I met his maternal grandfather was from EL TORO.  YEAH. He knew everything that I was talking about when I said I was from Mission Viejo.... it is those tender mercies that are sweet! :) Joshua is the sweetest lil guy who loves me so much! Every Sunday he runs up to me and says "Hannah, I mean Sister Hannah.  guess what I learned?" and then gives the greatest hug and proceeds to share with me what he learned.  He is precious.  It was amazing to see him enter into the waters of baptism and make those sacred covenants with our Father in Heaven!

Last night we also had a missionary fireside in Lexington and thanks to incredible members, Sister Syphax, we were able to go there with Sonia and feel of the strong spirit! It was another tender mercy! I was able to see Sister Jones as well! :) I love missionary firesides! Just as sister Syphax said, there is strength in numbers! :)

The work continues to roll forward. I love this work immensely! There are so many blessings to be counted.  Even when the days and weeks are hard or long, I know that I am being blessed for the work I am putting in! there is nothing that even measures close to serving the Lord full time! I know that this gospel is TRUE. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and I know that my Savior LIVES!

Much Love from the GKLM,
Sister Hannah


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment